Function and Beauty on Both Sides of the Noise Barrier Walls
Written by GJ Stott
Highway Noise Barrier Walls, also known as Sound Walls and Traffic Noise Barriers, are designed to have a high sound transmission loss value, thereby protecting the public against noise pollution, which can lead to hearing loss, stress, increased blood pressure and sleep disturbance.
Most municipal or Department of Transportation highway sound walls have two primary objectives. Transportation engineers, civil engineers and planners specify that:
- Traffic noise barriers intercept and deflect noise levels up to 10 decibels
- Attractive, aesthetically pleasing highway sound wall barriers be utilized.
Highway Noise Barrier Walls cast using AFTEC Precast Concrete Sound Wall Forming Equipment meet both of the preceding traffic noise mitigation and aesthetic criteria desired by Department of Transportation engineers and specifiers. Sound wall barriers manufactured with AFTEC Precast Concrete Sound Wall Forms have the following advantages:
- Highway Sound Wall Panels manufactured with AFTEC Precast Concrete Sound Wall Forms are vertically cast, which means that each wall section displays a highly defined formed texture on BOTH sides. The texture can be a natural stone, split face block or other custom architectural designed appearance, as specified.
- Traffic noise measurements on commercial, industrial, residential and highway full height sound wall panels built with AFTEC Precast Concrete Sound Wall Forming Equipment indicate a significant reduction in sound waves traveling past the wall through gaps and openings of stacked panels, effectively decreasing noise pollution.
- The attractive nature of highway sound walls cast with AFTEC Precast Concrete Forms assists in obtaining community acceptance and right of ways from property owners including HOAs, gated communities and businesses. This is because the sound wall panels have a highly defined formed texture on BOTH sides of the wall, providing an attractive view from every angle.
Check out AFTEC’s Sound Wall Concrete Forms page for more information on the equipment used to manufacture these versatile highway noise barrier walls.